Tuesday 8 February 2011

Kids Are Not Like Potato Chips

Grocery shopping is tough enough. Remembering  everything on my shopping list… Remembering the list… Ensuring the Oreos are well hidden under the strategically placed bag of carrots…..… . Recently I was chatting with the woman behind me in line (who I’m pretty sure couldn’t spot the Oreos) and walked away with a virtual punch in the stomach I never expected.

We were discussing kids and upon learning that I was the proud (if somewhat frazzled) mom to one little boy, with no plans to have another little one, our conversation seemed to change on a dime. Yes, a complete and total stranger – in my life only because of our grocery store of choice – actually told me that she was shocked that I wouldn’t give my kid the gift of a sibling. Really?? Knock my Oreos, maybe, but my choice about kids??

After wallowing in disbelief for far too long, I was able to regroup & rally back, thanks to an incredibly simple, yet profound statement shared by the brilliant Kia Robertson“Kids are not like potato chips… you CAN have just one!” Brilliant.

Yes, it would be nice if he had a built-in playmate sometimes… or I could be spending time breaking up scraps and dealing with sibling rivalry.

Yes, it could help him learn to share, take turns and other great life lessons… or he could learn to be independent and self-sufficient.

Yes, it would be nice to think of him surrounded by siblings when I’m old & grey or gone… or maybe they’d all move to opposite ends of the world and never speak.

Life is tough enough (just like grocery shopping!) – I wish I could understand why people feel the need to continually question and judge other people’s choices. I don’t know how my life would have played out with another child, two more or ten more (except then I might be in line for my own reality show!). All I do know is that my kid is the single most wonderful thing in my life and its an absolute joy to be his mom (most days!). Let’s just learn to relax… sit down… take a deep breath… have an Oreo…
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...