Tuesday 14 June 2011

Who Wants to Play?


One of the great things about working from home is that I’m able to avoid “Camp Chaos” - the endless juggling & scheduling required to fill up the 44 weekdays (but who’s counting??) between “School’s Out!” to that first glorious September school bell. Between figuring out the logistics of getting them to & from the camp, raiding piggy banks & couch cushions to ensure you can actually pay for these camps, and (hopefully) finding camps that are even remotely of interest to the little day campers (preferable, but not required!), it can seriously be a full-time job!

So I should be kicking back with a celebratory drink toasting the fact that I don’t have to deal with all of that, right? Not exactly… What is my little guy most looking forward to this Summer? “Playing.”

Here’s where I lose my “Mom of the Year” nomination (Hey, I could have had one…!) – I have to confess something… I don’t like to play. I can read with him, tackle an art project together, brave the baking/cooking process with my sous chef at my side, collect rocks on nature hikes, and plan day trips with the best of them. Heck, I can even endure the occasional board game. But ask me to just generally “play” and the glowing “Super Mommy” halo starts to slip.

I’ve watched him do it – he can run around in circles in the backyard making space laser noises and inventing stories and conversations for what seems like hours at a time. He can go forever telling me what to say & what to do in order to be part of the current scenario. And don’t get me wrong – I do it… I just don’t get it! I know that not everything requires a purpose – but admittedly, I just function much more effectively when there is one.

I know, I need to just relax and enjoy the fact that he wants to hang out with me at all – and trust me, I love spending time with him – I just need to get better at this “play” thing. I guess I’ve got 44 days to get it down pat (but who’s counting??).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...